Rules governing the omnipresent Java classpath:
- -classpath or its abbreviation -cp is applicable on both the javac compiler and the java JVM invoker.
- In Unix the classpath parameters are using : as a delimiter, whereas in Windows ; is getting used.
- In Unix package structure is defines using forward slash whereas in Windows backward slash.
- In terms of hierarchy
- the -classpath invocation overrides the system classpath
- the classpath is read from left to right
- it uses the first match it finds.